State Sen. Pat Browne’s bill that would toughen protection against carbon monoxide poisoning went to Pennsylvania's governor for his signature and enactment into law Wednesday.

"Pennsylvania leads the nation in fatalities as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning,”  said Browne (R-16th District) in a statement.

“Senate Bill 607 is intended to protect our citizens from the dangers of this odorless, colorless, tasteless and very deadly gas. The best way to address this danger is prevention through the installation of carbon monoxide detectors.”

Browne’s bill that would establish the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Standards Act went to  Gov. Tom Corbett's desk after the Senate concurred on House amendments to Bill 607 Wednesday.

The Pennsylvania Building Code requires all newly constructed homes and certain existing homes that have fossil fuel-burning heaters or appliances and/or an attached garage to install a carbon monoxide detector.

The Allentown senator's bill adds the following standards:

• For residential buildings, the seller must disclose information regarding the installation of carbon monoxide detectors on the property disclosure statement.

• For multi-family dwellings, each apartment in a dwelling with a fossil fuel-burning heater/appliance, fireplace or an attached garage must have an operational, centrally located and approved carbon monoxide alarm.

• For rental properties with a fossil fuel-burning heater or appliance, fireplace or  attached garage, the owner ,must ensure that working carbon monoxide alarms are located in the vicinity of  bedrooms and the heater or fireplace.