Coroner: Carbon monoxide killed Reitnauer family in Bucks County
Dad's death a suicide; wife, 2 daughters' deaths accidental, officials say
A Bucks County family of four died earlier this week of carbon monoxide poisoning from a car left running in the garage, authorities said Thursday.
Dr. Joseph Campbell ruled the death of Gary Reitnauer in Milford Township a suicide after the man went to the garage and started the car after an argument with his wife Monday night.
Officials believe Reitnauer's wife and two daughters, ages 10 and 16, tried to rescue him from the house at 1525 Kumry Rd. and were overcome by the fumes. Campbell has ruled their deaths accidental.
The coroner said Thursday that toxicology testing showed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the bodies of all four victims.
Campbell called Reitnauer's suicide a "selfish act" that wound up "devastating the entire family."
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.