LITITZ, Pa. - A Lancaster County woman who disappeared after dropping off her children for school 11 years ago has been located in Florida after traveling there with homeless hitchhikers and sleeping beneath bridges, police said Wednesday.
Brenda Heist turned herself in to police in Key Largo, Fla., on Friday because she was having health issues, said authorities, who noted that she's been living in Key West.
On Feb. 8, 2002, Heist left behind an 8-year-old daughter who's now a sophomore at West Chester University and a 12-year-old son who recently graduated from West Chester with plans to attend a police academy in New Jersey, police said.
Local, state and federal authorities conducted an extensive investigation following Heist's disappearance.
Three years ago, Heist's husband petitioned the Lancaster County courts to declare her legally dead.
A Litiitz detective who interviewed Heist in Florida said she reported leaving town on Feb. 8, 2002, and joining a group of homeless people who were hitchhiking to Florida. Once she got there, she said she lived as a homeless person, sleeping under bridges and tents and eating food that was thrown out from fast food restaurants.
At this point, Heist is not facing any charges, police said.
Pennsylvania State Police say a missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl and her father - a suspect in a homicide - have been found.Read More »
- State police reveal cost of local police coverage: $600M
- Health department working with Penn State on mumps cases
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Attorney general says costs related to Kane reached $3.6M
- Republicans eye revenue assumptions in Wolf's budget
- Route 222 reopens after crash closed it for nearly six hours Friday
- Woman loses more than half her body weight after 140-pound mass is removed
- Updated Lily's Hope Foundation provides "packages of hope" to families with premature babies
- Warm weather in Berks means time for ice cream
- Allentown's Police Athletic League keeping kids on the right track
- Safe travels, Ed: A new generation honors the Greatest
- Union Township woman accused of stealing from Parent Teacher Association
- "Mascots for a Cure" get down in Pottstown
- Black Bass Hotel becomes Hollywood movie set
- Family wants justice after hit-and-run leaves woman in critical condition