HARRISBURG, Pa. - A judge's ruling is increasing the possible penalty that three former Penn State administrators could face if convicted of crimes for how they responded to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
Judge John Boccabella on Thursday granted a request by the attorney general's office to add a related conspiracy count to the charges of endangering the welfare of children.
Prosecutors said each felony count carries up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
Jury selection is scheduled for March 20 in the case of former university president Graham Spanier, former vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley.
They've recently sought permission from the judge for an appeal. If the judge agrees, that could delay the trial.
Boccabella, a former Berks County common pleas judge, was appointed by the state's chief justice to handle the case in Harrisburg after Dauphin County judges recused themselves.
Gov. Tom Wolf announced Thursday more than $2.8 million in funding for local summer internship programs across Pennsylvania.Read More »
- Legislation promotes redevelopment of vacant factory buildings
- Debate continues if legislators or citizens should draw districts
- Democrats, Republicans join forces to tackle climate change
- Senate OKs anti-hazing bill drafted after Penn State death
- Berks woman on recent flight: 'It... could have been us'
- State legislator has fond memories of Barbara Bush in Berks
- Toxicologists testify about Benadryl, quaaludes in Cosby retrial
- Lehigh University dissolves Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity
- Woman finds another piece of Southwest Airlines plane debris
- PennDOT repairs hole in Hellertown Water Street Bridge
- Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Berks funeral home invites condolences to Bush family
- Crews clear logjam from Schuylkill River near Douglassville
- Magic returns to Reading with reopening of Mingus Magic Shop
- Volunteers spruce up local veteran nonprofit
- Free Lego exhibit in Allentown displays children's designs