MYERSTOWN, Pa. - The last of 27 pets rescued from a veteran's car in Lebanon County last month is now ready for a good home.
Dori, a Persian, has been cared for by workers at the Humane Society of Lebanon County since March 1 when she and 23 other cats and three dogs were found living in a car parked at the Lebanon VA Medical Center.
The animals belonged to a veteran who had lost her house and job and had checked herself into the medical center, officials said.
The other cats -- all Persians and Siamese -- and the three dogs -- two cocker spaniels and one dachshund mix -- have all been adopted.
Dori's turn will come Wednesday. The approximately 4-month-old kitten will be available for adoption on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 10 a.m., when the Humane Society opens.
A fee of $200 will be applied to the kitten's adoption, with the money being donated to the Lebanon VA Medical Center.
"We're just very happy to be able to give back to our veterans," said Suzanne Biever, the shelter's communications director. "The veteran's animals have been well taken care of at the shelter and have found their new homes. Now it's Dori's turn."
The Humane Society of Lebanon County is located at 150 N. Ramona Rd. in Myerstown.
Four police departments in our area are now investigating the same type of crime.Read More »
- More threats against Jewish Community Centers across the nation
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- PSP: Mom used girl's breath to start car with DUI device
- Pennsylvania's 2018 US Senate race gets going with GOP entry
- Pink slips may await some Pennsylvania public universities
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting