HARRISBURG, Pa. - A pursuit through four counties, at speeds in excess of 130 mph, ended with the driver in custody.
Abdallah A. Al Widian, 24, of Philadelphia, is facing charges involving the chase and $40,000 worth of untaxed and unstamped cigarettes found in the vehicle, according to Pennsylvania State Police.
The pursuit began when PSP troopers in Harrisburg saw a sedan going more than 90 mph in a 55 mph zone on Interstate 81 at about 1 a.m. Tuesday.
Police said the vehicle fled at high speed, continuing north on I-81 and then onto I-78 East, "traveling at times in excess of 130 mph."
Authorities tried unsuccessfully three times to stop the vehicle with spike strips. A fourth attempt with spike strips slowed the sedan and the chase was ended in the area of milepost 54 in Upper Macungie Township, Lehigh County, near Allentown.
Al Widian resisted arrest while being taken into custody, police said. He was subsequently charged with possession of unstamped cigarettes, dealing in proceeds of unlawful activities, fleeing or attempting to elude police officer, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest or other law enforcement, and various traffic offenses.
He was committed to the Dauphin County Jail on $100,000 bail.
Police said the 77-mile pursuit traveled through Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks and Lehigh counties and involved troopers from the Harrisburg, Jonestown, Hamburg, Fogelsville, and Bethlehem stations.
Police allege that 36-year-old Eric Bower had sex with a confidential informant for money several times, most recently in early April.Read More »
- 5 Schuylkill County boroughs, townships nominated as Opportunity Zones
- 6 face felony charges in relation to stealing $336K from Pa. agency
- Local counties receive funding for summer internship programs
- Legislation promotes redevelopment of vacant factory buildings
- Debate continues if legislators or citizens should draw districts
- Democrats, Republicans join forces to tackle climate change
- Updated Easton, Lewisburg residents winners in the 2018 St. Luke's Half Marathon
- A spectacular couple of days ahead
- Pennsylvania Game Commission to conduct controlled fire in Berks, Schuylkill Counties
- Several hurt after fire levels detached garage in Berks County
- People go back to the 80's to raise money for American Red Cross
- Hundreds of volunteers participate in Reading's Great American Clean Up
- Volunteers plant trees in Wilson
- Bethlehem Area School District dance marathon raises money for pediatric patients
- Muhlenberg Township Authority dedicates water tower
- Southern Lehigh, Emmaus lacrosse teams join forces for Cancer Awareness Day