The Department of Human Services wants to provide services and close a critical gap in supports to some of Pennsylvania's most vulnerable citizens.
The department announced initiatives Friday, included in Gov. Tom Wolf's proposed 2018-19 budget, in support of those with intellectual disabilities and autism.
The budget proposal will provide funding, specifically a $74 million increase for services for individuals with disabilities. It's said to assure services will be available to an additional 800 adults who will be graduating from public school June 2019.
“For the first time families with students who will be graduating in 2018 and 2019 can have confidence that services will continue to be available to their children,” said DHS Acting Secretary Teresa Miller in a news release.
Miller says this funding will eliminate the four to six month gap that usually exists before those students receive services, which in return will help to reduce worry.
The Wolf administration is asking for public input to help a new task force that the governor and auditor general are heading up to explore ways to make Pennsylvania schools safer and more secure.Read More »
- Pa. Gaming Control Board to accept interactive gaming petitions
- Most serious charges dropped in Beta Theta Pi hazing death
- March 14 is now "Saquon Barkley Day"
- House votes to trim Legislature, but bill's fate is unclear
- PennDOT, DEP seek volunteers for statewide spring cleanup
- Wolf wants gift ban, no pay for officials in budget standoff
- Allentown's St. Patrick's Day parade to be held Sunday
- Law enforcement on lookout for impaired drivers this weekend
- State police respond to incident in Berks County
- Weekend weather a pot of gold at the end of a cold week
- Firefighters douse Allentown fire, 1 family temporarily displaced
- Copperhead Grille chefs share tasty recipes with 69 News
- Bagpipe players give musical performance at 69 News studio
- Allentown hurlers give demonstration of the sport for 69 News
- Irish dancers perform for 69 News
- Reading to hold Craft Time in the Pagoda