CONESTOGA TWP., Pa. - It's still too soon to tell whether a body found in the Susquehanna River on Sunday is that of a missing man from Berks County, officials said Monday.
A fisherman found the body floating in the water on the east bank of the river, near the Holtwood Dam in Drumore Twp., Lancaster Co., state police said.
The discovery was made several miles downstream from where Jose Suarez went missing after his fishing boat capsized on the river in Conestoga Township on April 13, officials said.
Volunteers worked much of last week trying to find the 57-year-old Exeter Township man, who's credited with helping to save his girlfriend, Bertha Castro, from drowning before he went under the water. Neither was wearing a life preserver, officials said.
Crews have also been searching for the body of a man who reportedly jumped off the Holtwood Dam five weeks ago, officials said.
The coroner won't be able to make a formal identification of the found body until further testing is done, officials said.
A two-year, $148 million expansion just got the green light.Read More »
- Federal judges to hear Pennsylvania district map challenge
- Pair charged in numerous robberies, thefts at Walmart stores
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Local small businesses receive upgrades thanks to $1M grant
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Wallenpaupack School District responds to nearby church ceremony involving AR-15 rifles
- Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- Murphy promises gun control, but for now reviews policies
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed
- Millions of BB&T customers affected by outage
- Joe Paterno movie coming to HBO
- Man arrested for domestic violence assault in Fleetwood
- Degas painting missing for 9 years found outside Paris
- Florida governor speaks out on Parkland shooting
- Sarah McNary talks personal color analysis