CONESTOGA TWP., Pa. - It's still too soon to tell whether a body found in the Susquehanna River on Sunday is that of a missing man from Berks County, officials said Monday.
A fisherman found the body floating in the water on the east bank of the river, near the Holtwood Dam in Drumore Twp., Lancaster Co., state police said.
The discovery was made several miles downstream from where Jose Suarez went missing after his fishing boat capsized on the river in Conestoga Township on April 13, officials said.
Volunteers worked much of last week trying to find the 57-year-old Exeter Township man, who's credited with helping to save his girlfriend, Bertha Castro, from drowning before he went under the water. Neither was wearing a life preserver, officials said.
Crews have also been searching for the body of a man who reportedly jumped off the Holtwood Dam five weeks ago, officials said.
The coroner won't be able to make a formal identification of the found body until further testing is done, officials said.
Pennsylvania driver's licenses that are compliant with tougher federal anti-terrorism standards should be available in early 2019, according to Gov. Tom Wolf's office.Read More »
- Pa. health officials warn of possible measles exposure
- Pennsylvania man sets Plinko record on 'Price is Right,' goes wild
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Pennsylvania's highest-paid CEO among top 10 in US
- Pa. Turnpike expects 2.3M vehicles over Memorial Day weekend
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- Two zoos mourn the loss of Ernie the giraffe
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Updated Walking a mile in their shoes
- Updated Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- Updated A place of healing for veterans
- Updated Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade
- Updated 'Taps' echoes over Bethlehem
- Updated Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Updated Marking Memorial Day in the Lehigh Valley
- No extreme warmth or cold over the next 7 to 10 days