CONESTOGA TWP., Pa. - It's still too soon to tell whether a body found in the Susquehanna River on Sunday is that of a missing man from Berks County, officials said Monday.
A fisherman found the body floating in the water on the east bank of the river, near the Holtwood Dam in Drumore Twp., Lancaster Co., state police said.
The discovery was made several miles downstream from where Jose Suarez went missing after his fishing boat capsized on the river in Conestoga Township on April 13, officials said.
Volunteers worked much of last week trying to find the 57-year-old Exeter Township man, who's credited with helping to save his girlfriend, Bertha Castro, from drowning before he went under the water. Neither was wearing a life preserver, officials said.
Crews have also been searching for the body of a man who reportedly jumped off the Holtwood Dam five weeks ago, officials said.
The coroner won't be able to make a formal identification of the found body until further testing is done, officials said.
Republican lawmakers are using budget hearings to question Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf's assumptions for revenue from a minimum wage increase and a new tax on Marcellus Shale natural gas production.Read More »
- Snow geese migrating earlier due to milder temps
- Local business skeptical of Wolf's proposal to raise minimum wage
- Wolf could secure minimum wage hike, with big concession
- Volunteers build osprey platforms at Beltzville Lake
- Penn State revokes fraternity recognition over student's death
- Jerry Sandusky's son waives hearing in child sex abuse case
- 2 taken to hospital after shooting in Allentown
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- RACC to open satellite location at Wilson school
- Updated Berks Encore granted share of $2M from Pennsylvania Lottery
- Updated Man wanted in Hunterdon County on assault charges
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- In-home care provider expands to Berks; 25 jobs to be added
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- Police: Mom caught with meth, heroin, marijuana
- Bethlehem Township man killed in motorcycle crash