HARRISBURG, Pa. - An outspoken and conservative Pennsylvania state lawmaker is the target of calls to resign or be demoted after he interrupted a committee meeting to accost his Democratic counterpart for touching his arm and suggest the man might be gay.
Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf on Wednesday called Butler County Republican Rep. Daryl Metcalfe's comments offensive and discriminatory. Wolf's spokesman said the governor doesn't think Metcalfe should chair a committee that handles civil rights legislation.
Metcalfe chairs the State Government Committee. His comments and committee meetings routinely stoke anger from Democrats.
In Tuesday's meeting, Metcalfe said, "stop touching me all the time" and "I don't like men, as you might," after Rep. Matt Bradford, a Montgomery County Democrat, placed his hand on Metcalfe's forearm while sitting next to him and speaking.
House Speaker Mike Turzai declined to discuss the issue Wednesday. Metcalfe didn't respond to a call seeking comment.
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has signed a bill guaranteeing state-level funding for a popular children's health insurance program, and urges Congress to renew federal funding.Read More »
- Grand jury: Penn State showed 'shocking apathy' to drinking
- Tom Ridge returns home nearly a month after heart attack
- Cops: Man lured wife saying he had gifts for kids, shot her
- 'Meat-farm' dogs given 2nd chance at life, up for adoption
- Police: Estranged husband kills wife, self on PSU campus
- Allentown State Hospital closer to sale of its grounds
- Northampton gets harsh grade from state in elder abuse casework
- Low levels in Delaware River could keep Washington's crossing re-enactors on land
- East Stroudsburg Domino's donating all Sunday's sales to murder victim's family
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Allentown man hit, killed by vehicle while running across I-78
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend
- Community comes together to support Lukens family
- Mother of fallen Berks serviceman speaks at Wreaths Across America