WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. - The group American Coaster Enthusiasts has named the Thunderbolt a ``Coaster Landmark'' _ the third roller coaster to be so recognized at the Kennywood amusement park near Pittsburgh.
Kennywood is now the only park in the United States with three coaster landmarks.
The Thunderbolt is a wooden coaster that's unusual that the lift hill isn't immediately out of the station but is in the middle of the ride.
ACE was founded in 1978 has honored 30 coaster landmarks nationwide since 2002.
Kennywood's Jack Rabbit and Racer roller coasters were previously honored as landmarks by the group. All three are traditional roller coasters with wooden frames and tracks.
The Thunderbolt grew out of a former roller coaster known as the Pippin. The Pippin was built in 1924 and was expanded and rebuilt to become the Thunderbolt in 1968.
The Jack Rabbit was built in 1920 and the Racer in 1927.
Kennywood is located in West Mifflin, Allegheny County, about 15 miles west of Pittsburgh.
Prosecutors and the defense team on Wednesday also selected three of six alternates, and two of them are black.Read More »
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Pennsylvania moves to comply with federal Real ID law
- Insurance chief would lead new health, human services agency
- Pennsylvania's US senators react to Trump's proposed budget
- Pennsylvania lawmakers introduce universal background check for firearm sales
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Updated Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Updated Sarcoma cancer survivor raises money for research with annual event
- Updated Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Updated Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- Updated Police looking for Walmart TV thief in Lower Nazareth
- Updated One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated Suspicious package clears school, closes Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam