STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - A Hollywood producer and screenwriter, known for creating such television hits as "Magnum, P.I.," ''Quantum Leap" and "NCIS," is donating $30 million to Penn State University.
The donation from Donald Bellisario and his wife, Vivienne, will be used to transform the university's College of Communications. In recognition of the contribution, the university trustees on Friday approved renaming the college after Bellasario.
"The success Don Bellisario has achieved makes all of us aspire to be greater ourselves," said Dean Marie Hardin, "and the investment that he has already made in our college and our students has helped inspire a vision that this unprecedented gift will empower us to fulfill."
Bellisario graduated from Penn State in 1961. He started off in advertising and worked his way up to senior vice president at the Bloom Agency. He made the leap in the 1970s to Hollywood production. He's won an Edgar Allan Poe writing award and multiple Emmys.
Penn State said the donation is the fifth-largest gift in the university's history.
President will sign executive order ahead of Harrisburg rally.Read More »
- Ex-Penn St officials to be sentenced in June over Sandusky
- Local lawmakers have mixed reactions to Trump's tax plan
- Medical marijuana licensing draws hundreds of applicants
- House votes to toughen animal cruelty laws, tethering rules
- Fight brews in Pennsylvania Senate over Planned Parenthood
- House advances bill to let restaurants sell takeout liquor
- Updated President Trump to sign executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Updated First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Deadly dog attack prompts warning to other dog owners
- Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Members of white supremacist group face federal charges
- Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading