HARRISBURG, Pa. - Lawmakers are back in the Pennsylvania Capitol amid a three-month-old budget stalemate, but optimism about an evolving proposal to fill a $2.2 billion revenue gap isn't translating into action.
Rank-and-file members of the House Republican majority remained in the dark Monday afternoon about the secret negotiations, and no briefing or voters were planned. A proposed package under discussion behind closed doors leans heavily on borrowing, one-time fund transfers and an expansion of casino-style gambling.
Tax increases will be involved, too, including on business storage and online sales. It doesn't include a tax on Marcellus Shale production after House backers couldn't overcome the opposition of House GOP leaders last week.
Lawmakers overwhelmingly approved a $32 billion budget bill June 30, about a 3 percent increase, but haven't agreed on how to fully fund it.
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has signed a bill guaranteeing state-level funding for a popular children's health insurance program, and urges Congress to renew federal funding.Read More »
- Grand jury: Penn State showed 'shocking apathy' to drinking
- Tom Ridge returns home nearly a month after heart attack
- Cops: Man lured wife saying he had gifts for kids, shot her
- 'Meat-farm' dogs given 2nd chance at life, up for adoption
- Police: Estranged husband kills wife, self on PSU campus
- Allentown State Hospital closer to sale of its grounds
- Updated Chilly, dry Sunday with a bit of wintry mix possible overnight
- Updated Allentown man hit, killed by car while running across I-78
- Police: Armed man barricades himself inside Quakertown home
- Updated Community comes together to support Lukens family
- Updated Mother of fallen Berks serviceman speaks at Wreaths Across America
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend
- 2 charged in Monroe burglaries
- PHOTOS: Ribbon cutting ceremony on Kenhorst Boulevard
- History's Headlines: Christmas constroversy
- Valley Forge Baptist Academy handbell choir performs Christmas classics