LEBANON, Pa. - One person in Lebanon County has died and five others have overdosed in the past 10 days on a synthetic heroin lookalike, law enforcement and health officials said Friday.
The synthetic form of fentanyl looks identical to heroin but packs a much stronger punch, which may be catching users off guard, said Dr. Jeffrey Yocum, the Lebanon County coroner.
The drug in its prescription form is a powerful painkiller, but what is being purchased on the street is specifically being manufactured to resemble and be used like heroin, Yocum said.
The fentanyl was purchased in Lebanon and northern parts of the county, officials said.
The victims are all in their 20s, including the man who died. He has not been identified because the investigation is ongoing.
Pennsylvania is closer to complying with a federal law that requires people to prove they are legal U.S. residents in order for their driver's licenses to be valid for federal purposes.Read More »
- Insurance chief would lead new health, human services agency
- Pennsylvania's US senators react to Trump's proposed budget
- Pennsylvania lawmakers introduce universal background check for firearm sales
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Penn State trustees to weigh changes to Greek system
- Man indicted in double stabbing that left ex-girlfriend dead, Bucks man injured
- Updated Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Updated Defense raises race bias in Cosby jury selection process
- Exeter Township Police enforce zero-tolerance policy
- Updated Pa. DEP holds IESI Landfill meeting
- Easton's new police headquarters taking shape
- Palmer receives $347K grant for Chrin Field development project
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- Updated Reading Planning Commission, Alvernia move forward with Health Complex
- Updated Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store set for preliminary hearing
- Updated Some rain this morning followed by clouds and some sunny breaks this afternoon