STRASBURG, Pa. - A mother and her two young children were found dead in their burning home in Lancaster County in an apparent murder-suicide.
Police said Carola Arnau, 40, was found shot, along with her 10-year-old daughter, 4-year-old son and dog, while their house burned in Strasburg Township.
The fire was reported around 3 a.m. early Tuesday morning.
Officials said they recovered a gun next to Arnau's body and interviewed people close to the family and determined the incident was domestic.
Authorities said Arnau bought a handgun the day before.
Police Arnau's husband and the children's father lives at the property but was not home at the time of the shootings or when the fire was intentionally set, and they do not believe he was involved.
Officials said the couple was going through a divorce.
Police said no determination has been made on cause and manner of the deaths, but they believe the children were killed in their sleep.
Autopsies are planned for Wednesday morning.
Trucks2, a group founded recently to help hurricane victims in the south, is now helping its neighbors at home.Read More »
- Legislation moved for additional police protection
- Suspect arrested in Pennsylvania police officer shooting
- DA: 4 individuals unaccounted for in Barclay Friends fire
- Auditor: DNC convention bonuses didn't violate grant terms
- Email indicates Pennsylvania election chief forced out
- Family says it's optimistic of Tom Ridge's full recovery
- Adam Matos gets life in prison in quadruple murder case
- Volunteers give hope to Barclay Friends residents after fire
- Emergency declared after half an inch of snow
- Updated Giver of the Week: Kung Kim
- Updated Lehigh Valley Haitian immigrants worry after Trump decision
- Salvation Army distributes hundreds of Thanksgiving meals
- Bethlehem cops serve in a different manner
- Updated Prosecutor aims for multiple life sentences for Daniel Clary
- Man being booked for exposing himself allegedly exposes himself
- Health Beat: Mole mapper app tracks cancer