HARRISBURG, Pa. - A proposal to allow craft breweries to sell their beer at farmers' markets and at craft beer and food expositions in Pennsylvania is now one step closer to becoming law.
House Bill 2429, introduced by Pa. Rep. Dante Santoni, D-Berks Co., passed the state House by a vote of 175 to 20. The bill now moves on to the state Senate for consideration.
"The craft brewing industry has grown at an astonishing rate over the last few years," said Santoni, who serves as the Democratic chairman of the House Liquor Control Committee. "My legislation will allow these small businesses to participate more fully in the niche markets that exist for their products."
Craft brewers' share of the market grew from 3.8 percent in 2007 to 5.68 percent in 2011, Santoni said.
With the appropriate permits, craft breweries would be able to offer tasting and sales of their products with off-premise consumption.
"It is similar to the special permits now offered to Pennsylvania wineries," Santoni said. "The fee paid for the permit would be $30 a day for each day of permitted use, not to exceed 30 days. The total number of days for all special permits would not exceed 100 days in a calendar year."
Nationally, almost 2,000 craft brewers provide more than 103,000 jobs, including staff serving in brewpubs, Santoni said.
Four police departments in our area are now investigating the same type of crime.Read More »
- More threats against Jewish Community Centers across the nation
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- PSP: Mom used girl's breath to start car with DUI device
- Pennsylvania's 2018 US Senate race gets going with GOP entry
- Pink slips may await some Pennsylvania public universities
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Updated Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients