STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - The school year started on a somber note for the Pennsylvania State University.
Police in Centre County say a Penn State freshman died from a fall at a construction site on campus over the weekend.
The Centre Daily Times reports that the body of Jack Crean of Boalsburg was found Sunday morning at the HUB-Robeson Center construction site.
Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers told the paper by email that he appeared to have fallen or jumped from a crane inside the secured site.
Powers said ``It's a sorrowful start to the academic year and our hearts go out to Jack's family and friends.'' She said counselors are being provided to anyone in need.
The Centre County coroner's office said an autopsy was scheduled and Penn State police are investigating.
Sentencing has been scheduled for three former top officials at Penn State University who were convicted of child endangerment in the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal.Read More »
- Local lawmakers have mixed reactions to Trump's tax plan
- Medical marijuana licensing draws hundreds of applicants
- House votes to toughen animal cruelty laws, tethering rules
- Fight brews in Pennsylvania Senate over Planned Parenthood
- House advances bill to let restaurants sell takeout liquor
- Lawmakers eye more changes to high school graduation exams
- Convicted cop killer Eric Frein sentenced to death
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Updated U-Haul truck crashes into pole along S. Pike Avenue in Salisbury Twp.
- Updated Tractor trailer catches fire at Rt. 22 and Schoenersville Rd. in Bethlehem
- Updated Ex-Penn St officials to be sentenced in June over Sandusky
- Allentown police arrest 3 for passing fake checks
- Updated Police: Suspect in killing of Delaware trooper shot dead
- Woman reportedly arrested for arson in Minersville fire
- Life Lessons: Nursery product-related injuries rising
- Some sunshine today as a big-time warm-up gets underway