HARRISBURG, Pa. - PennDOT has unveiled the look off the newly-designed driver license and identification card it issues to state residents.
The updated cards feature a number of security enhancements that improve fraud protection and protect from counterfeiting and alteration, including a larger primary portrait and a 2D barcode that contains information unique to the cardholder, officials said.
The magnetic strip on the back of the card has also been eliminated.
"The update is an important component of PennDOT's ongoing work to enhance and protect the integrity of the driver license and identification card issuance process," said PennDOT Secretary Leslie S. Richards.
All driver and photo centers will transition to the new cards by the end of October. The cards will be phased in over the next four-year renewal cycle, meaning there's no need to replace current cards before they expire.
The update is unrelated to the federal Real ID law, officials said. Real-ID cards likely won't be available in Pennsylvania until 2019.
Republican Representative Rosemary M. Brown of Monroe and Pike counties introduced a bill ensuring highest security measures are taken in Pennsylvania schools.Read More »
- Proposed bill allows courts to seize guns from people deemed a threat
- Smucker: New congressional map result of 'judicial activism'
- Former Pennsylvania Gov. Ridge recalls heart attack scare
- Trump tells Pa. GOP to challenge new congressional map
- Albertsons agrees to buy Rite Aid
- What the new congressional map means for the Lehigh Valley
- Two injured in Allentown hit and run
- Updated LCCC closes all campuses due to security threat
- Bank robbed, pair of Wilson schools put on lockdown
- Local students rally for change after Florida school shooting
- Outraged homeowners begin legal challenge against FERC, PennEast pipeline
- New surprises in store for Lehigh Valley Auto Show
- WWII veteran laid to rest in Bethlehem
- Residents fight for their land against PennEast pipeline
- HeartSAFE heroes awarded for saving Wyomissing man's life
- 34-year-old facing charges in relation to possessing heroin