HARRISBURG, Pa. - Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf is making Pennsylvania the 38th state to enact a "right to try" law that gives the terminally ill an avenue to try experimental treatments that aren't fully approved by the federal government.
The law, signed Wednesday, allows a manufacturer of an investigational drug, biological product or medical device to provide it to a patient who has a recommendation from a treating physician and has been unable to participate in a clinical trial.
"I have supported and will continue to support legislation that gives patients power in their health care decisions," Wolf said. "At no time is that more important than when faced with a terminal illness. Having the chance to try all options can offer hope and better quality of life for many."
The law doesn't require a manufacturer to provide the treatment to a patient, or grant legal immunity to the manufacturer. It also doesn't require an insurer to cover the treatment or require a manufacturer to provide it for free.
It takes effect in 60 days.
The libertarian Arizona-based Goldwater Institute advocates for "right to try" laws.
The Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry says the state's unemployment rate is up one-tenth of a percentage point from November.Read More »
- State police: Letter sent to barracks sickens 3 people
- $2.4 million invested into airport upgrades
- SEPTA offers discounted round-trip pass for Sunday's Eagles game
- 11-year US marshal identified as officer slain in Harrisburg
- Leaders in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia hail Amazon decision
- Mayor: US marshal shot, killed while serving warrant
- Updated Allentown Mayor Pawlowski will testify during corruption trial, attorney says
- Updated Strike watch: Wilson to make school announcement by 7:30 p.m
- Updated Man dies after fire tears through house in Franklin Township
- Updated Tilghman Street Bridge rehabilitation to begin this week
- Updated Pair accused in rape, murder of Grace Packer to face separate trials
- Updated Berks fans record unique rendition of Eagles fight song
- Updated Eagles NFC championship gear flying out of stores in Berks
- Federal corruption trial begins for Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski
- Fans flock to stores for Eagles NFC Championship gear
- Life Lessons: Preventing back pain in runners