There are a lot of proposals coming from lawmakers in Harrisburg and possible legislation aimed at preventing mass shootings in the commonwealth.
“I’m saddened by everything, I’m disturbed by it, and I really want to see us in Pennsylvania take a leadership role,” said Republican State Representative, Rosemary Brown, representing the 189th legislative district.
Brown is proposing metal detectors and an armed officer at the entry way of every Pennsylvania school. Other proposals include banning bump stocks in the state, and several call for a way people can report others displaying violent behavior.
"There's no mechanism to currently address that," added Democratic Senator, Daylin Leach, representing the 17th senatorial district. "You can report it to the police, but too often they don't have the resources to investigate all of this."
Under the Leach proposal, a person can petition the court to confiscate the weapons of another if there is evidence showing such violent behavior. Lawmakers know it will be tough to whittle down all proposals to one bill, but they are willing to work together.
“That’s our job, to try and figure out proposals based on feedback from constituents and what we are feeling will make a difference,” said Brown.
The Wolf administration is asking for public input to help a new task force that the governor and auditor general are heading up to explore ways to make Pennsylvania schools safer and more secure.Read More »
- Pa. Gaming Control Board to accept interactive gaming petitions
- Most serious charges dropped in Beta Theta Pi hazing death
- March 14 is now "Saquon Barkley Day"
- House votes to trim Legislature, but bill's fate is unclear
- PennDOT, DEP seek volunteers for statewide spring cleanup
- Wolf wants gift ban, no pay for officials in budget standoff
- Updated Allentown Police: Kevin Esterly arrested, Amy Yu located in Mexico
- Bethlehem pulls together to hold St. Patrick's Day parade
- Allentown's St. Patrick's Day parade to be held Sunday
- Law enforcement on lookout for impaired drivers this weekend
- State police respond to incident in Berks County
- Weekend weather a pot of gold at the end of a cold week
- Firefighters douse Allentown fire, 1 family temporarily displaced
- Copperhead Grille chefs share tasty recipes with 69 News
- Bagpipe players give musical performance at 69 News studio
- Allentown hurlers give demonstration of the sport for 69 News