CENTER TWP., Pa. - A woman who worked at a Penn State satellite campus near Pittsburgh was apparently shot dead by her estranged husband in a university parking lot, according to police. The husband then killed himself.
Multiple shots were fired Wednesday afternoon near a Penn State Beaver dining hall, Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Eric Hermick told Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV.
An officer heard the shots and lots of screaming and responded to the scene. He found the food services worker and her estranged husband dead beside her car.
Penn State Beaver later issued an alert that shots were fired, saying the situation was contained and there was "no threat."
Hermick said there was never a threat to the general campus population. About 650 students attend the school, but not many were on campus because it's finals week.
The campus has been closed for the day.
A lawyer for the former Pennsylvania attorney general convicted of leaking secret information then lying about it said the special prosecutor who investigated her had too much power.Read More »
- Victims' needs surveys open in Pennsylvania
- GIANT named best grocery store in Pennsylvania
- Gov. Wolf asks Trump for federal support in opioid crisis
- GOP field grows to 4 to run for Pa. lieutenant governor
- Gerrymandering case sows doubt in big year for House races
- Silgan Containers creates new jobs in Lehigh Valley
- Updated Whiteout on I-78: Truck barrels through stopped traffic
- Former Parkland HS teacher sentenced for sexual relationship with student
- YOUR PHOTOS: Snow falls across the region
- Updated Hunterdon County doctor surrenders privilege to prescribe substances
- Updated Post-hurricane shortage of IV bags hurting Berks ambulances
- Updated Man robs 3 after jumping into woman's car at gas station
- New Man sought in robbery of V&S Sandwich Shop in Reading
- Updated Bethlehem-based company wins 'Best Places to Work' award
- Police: Owners of local winery record employees, customers without permission
- Woman alleges ex tried to run her off the road