HARRISBURG, Pa. - A new report bolsters the prospect of the Pennsylvania Turnpike converting to an all-electronic tolling system.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission posted the report on its website Tuesday, but officials stressed that any actual conversion is at least five years away.
The study by an outside consultant recommended replacing toll booths with overhead "gantries" on travel lanes. They would electronically deduct tolls from vehicles with E-Z Pass transponders and photograph license plates of other vehicles so bills could be sent to the registered owners.
Share your comments with 69 News by leaving a message at 610-871-0074.
The commission is moving ahead with hiring a program management firm to address issues ranging from financial implications to public outreach efforts.
If the commission approves all-electronic tolls, that firm also could oversee the implementation of the new system, said Carl DeFebo, commission spokesman.
Pennsylvania lawmakers are approving a bill designed to comply with federal identification standards for people who want to fly or enter federal facilities.Read More »
- Pennsylvania moves to comply with federal Real ID law
- Insurance chief would lead new health, human services agency
- Pennsylvania's US senators react to Trump's proposed budget
- Pennsylvania lawmakers introduce universal background check for firearm sales
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Penn State trustees to weigh changes to Greek system
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Updated Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Updated 'You're not arresting me,' woman tells police
- Health Beat: ACL reinjury in girls prevented by PEP
- Updated Traffic stoppages on I-78 in Lehigh County will take place Wednesday
- Unofficial numbers in for Allentown race for mayor
- Police link man to trio of break-ins in five days
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Clouds and some sun this afternoon