PHILADELPHIA - The Roman Catholic bishop of Harrisburg has died, church officials said.
Bishop Joseph McFadden died unexpectedly Thursday morning at a hospital in Philadelphia, officials said. He had been attending a meeting of the Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania.
McFadden awoke feeling ill and was taken to a hospital, officials said. A cause of death has not yet been announced. He was 65-years-old.
"Kris and I are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Bishop McFadden," said U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa. "A native of Philadelphia, the Bishop was called to serve whether he was coaching basketball or ministering to many of us as the Tenth Bishop of Harrisburg. His love, caring, and spiritual guidance will be missed by all who benefited from his wisdom over the years."
"I was shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Bishop McFadden," said U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., "I worked with him closely through the years on a number of issues. He was a forceful advocate, an effective leader and a much beloved shepherd for the people of Harrisburg, Philadelphia and all of Pennsylvania."
McFadden, born in Philadelphia, was installed as the bishop of Harrisburg in August 2010. The diocese serves about 250,000 Catholics in 15 counties in central Pennsylvania.
Diocesan officials have eight days to elect an administrator who will be in charge of daily operations until a new bishop is appointed by Pope Francis.
Pennsylvania driver's licenses that are compliant with tougher federal anti-terrorism standards should be available in early 2019, according to Gov. Tom Wolf's office.Read More »
- Pa. health officials warn of possible measles exposure
- Pennsylvania man sets Plinko record on 'Price is Right,' goes wild
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Pennsylvania's highest-paid CEO among top 10 in US
- Pa. Turnpike expects 2.3M vehicles over Memorial Day weekend
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Updated One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans
- Walking a mile in their shoes
- Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade