Gov. Tom Wolf announced the activation of the Commonwealth Response Coordination Center along with the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency in response to the coastal storm hitting our area.
Both are coordinating with local agencies to respond to the heavy snow and high winds. The governor urges residents to be careful and listen to law enforcement warnings.
The coordination center includes personnel from Pennsylvania State Police, the Public Utility Commission, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and more.
PennDOT has deployed crews from its districts based in Allentown and Scranton and deployed roughly 75 pieces of equipment.
"My priority is keeping Pennsylvanians safe, and the combination of strong winds and heavy snow are making travel hazardous across much of the northern tier and northeastern Pennsylvania,” Gov. Wolf said in a news release. “I encourage anyone in those areas to avoid any unnecessary travel through the evening and overnight hours because even when it stops snowing, strong winds will make driving risky.”
Gov. Wolf says the intensity of the storm caused several closures, some in parts of Interstates 80 and 380 in Monroe County in addition to sections of I-76 in Montgomery County, and I-81 in northeast Pennsylvania.
The Wolf administration is asking for public input to help a new task force that the governor and auditor general are heading up to explore ways to make Pennsylvania schools safer and more secure.Read More »
- Pa. Gaming Control Board to accept interactive gaming petitions
- Most serious charges dropped in Beta Theta Pi hazing death
- March 14 is now "Saquon Barkley Day"
- House votes to trim Legislature, but bill's fate is unclear
- PennDOT, DEP seek volunteers for statewide spring cleanup
- Wolf wants gift ban, no pay for officials in budget standoff
- Family, neighbors react to Amy Yu's return to Allentown, Kevin Esterly's arrest
- Woman dies almost one year after being involved in South Whitehall car crash
- Local artist commemorates Eagles Championship Parade with unique print
- 2 injured in DUI crash in Berks County
- Man arrested after stabbing neighbor multiple times in Easton
- Multiple crews battle large fire at former Trainers Inn in Carbon County
- Allentown Police: Kevin Esterly arrested, Amy Yu located in Mexico
- Mother, brother react to Allentown teen Amy Yu being found in Mexico
- Irish Community Day event held in Allentown
- Hundreds celebrate St. Patrick's Day aboard the Colebrookdale Railroad