EAST LAMPETER TWP., Pa. - More than a dozen children were injured when their school bus rolled onto its side in a hit-and-run crash near Lancaster on Wednesday.
The accident, involving a Lancaster Mennonite School bus transporting students to school, happened around 7:50 a.m. on Route 30, near Route 896, in East Lampeter Township, Lancaster County, about a half-mile east of the Rockvale Outlets.
One of the students was ejected from the bus and seriously injured, authorities said. Thirteen other students and the bus driver suffered minor injuries.
The initial investigation has revealed that the driver being sought caused the crash by attempting to pass two oversized tractor trailers and their escort vehicles while traveling east on Route 30, according to the Lancaster County district attorney's office.
The light-colored, newer-model sedan then veered back into the eastbound lane, hitting the rear of an escort vehicle, which was then pushed into the westbound lane, where it sideswiped the oncoming school bus, officials said.
The sedan, with a male driver, continued traveling east. Anyone with information about the driver or the vehicle, which should have front-bumper damage, is asked to call East Lampeter police at 717-291-4676.
The map madness continues.Read More »
- New maps could improve Democrats' chances in Pennsylvania
- So many maps, so little time: Redistricting debate continues
- State office candidates address Berks Patriots
- Pa. Democrats submit map in state gerrymandering case
- Pa. Supreme Court to seek new map in gerrymandering case
- Gov. Tom Wolf proposes new drug courts in budget
- Quick hitting storm brings snow late today and tonight
- Crews prep for weekend wintry weather
- Updated Bethlehem's Friends of Music introduces Outstanding Young Artist Competition
- Updated TSA testing new facial recognition system
- PA Turnpike reopened after wreck in Lehigh Tunnel
- Police: Dieruff student said he was going to kill everyone at school
- Black Panther premiere party a hit in Allentown
- Arson suspected in fire at Ashley Furniture; $1.5M damage
- Deadline looms: Pa. court has until Monday to pick new map
- Spin and win deals at eateries with new app