HARRISBURG, Pa. - Condemned inmate Hubert Lester Michael Jr. met with spiritual advisers for an hour and read the Bible while awaiting word on whether the U.S. Supreme Court will consider a request by prosecutors to order his execution to go forward, corrections officials said.
A federal appeals court earlier Thursday stayed his execution, initially scheduled for 7 p.m. at Rockview State Prison in Bellefonte. His death warrant remains valid until midnight.
Corrections Department spokeswoman Sue McNaughton told reporters that Michael was quiet, cooperative and polite. He was reading the newspaper and listening to the radio while waiting in a cell about 20 feet from the execution chamber.
Michael is sentenced to die by lethal injection for the 1993 shooting death of 16-year-old Trista Elizabeth Eng in York County.
Four police departments in our area are now investigating the same type of crime.Read More »
- More threats against Jewish Community Centers across the nation
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- PSP: Mom used girl's breath to start car with DUI device
- Pennsylvania's 2018 US Senate race gets going with GOP entry
- Pink slips may await some Pennsylvania public universities
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Updated Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Hazmat situation reported in Northampton County
- Local tree service companies face busy week after storm
- Updated Technical error costs company BASD contract
- Updated Berks County withdraws support of 2017 Reading 120 bicycle race
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Anti-Semitic threats across Pennsylvania provoke response
- Man arrested for robbing Easton convenience store
- Pending home sales down nationally, but up in the Lehigh Valley