FOSTER TWP., Pa. - State police in Luzerne County said a woman was killed and two others wounded after an incident at a home in Foster Township.
The state police Special Emergency Response Team was called to Spring Street on Sunday after reports of a possible hostage situation.
Police say they were negotiating with a man inside, who was believed to be armed.
They determined they had to enter the home. Inside they found the man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, as well as a 46-year-old female, believed to be his girlfriend, who was dead.
The woman's 72-year-old mother was also found inside with a head injury.
The man and the woman's mother were flown to the hospital.
A neighbor said the couple were together for many years.
"He was a nice guy. She was a nice lady. It's a shame. It's tragic to me," said neighbor Mark Becker. "I'm just sad for the family."
Police have not said what led to the woman's death or the other injuries.
They also haven't released the names of those involved.
Pro-gun church explains AR-15 marriage ceremony.Read More »
- New Jim-Thorpe one-dollar coins selling out fast
- Some Poconos students to relocate Wednesday due to blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s
- Pair charged in numerous robberies, thefts at Walmart stores
- Monroe County teenager dies from flu complications
- AR-15 rifles to accompany church's blessing ceremony
- 2 more facing charges in relation to ESU stabbing
- Rain finally wraps up early this afternoon
- Parkland schools to reopen Monday after bus garage fire
- Water main breaks in Reading, closes section of North Eighth Street
- Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- Updated Broadway veteran launching children's chorus in Allentown
- Updated HUD awards Puerto Rico $1.5 billion for hurricane recovery efforts
- Reading group hosts Black History Month celebration
- Young musicians show talents at Lehigh Valley Mall
- Caught on camera: Domino's workers apprehend armed robbery suspect
- Dieruff students perform at a-capella festival