MAHONING TWP., Pa. - One person was killed in a crash in Carbon County Thursday morning.
It happened around 8:50 a.m. on Route 443 near Clinic Road in Mahoning Township.
Mahoning Township police said the driver of a Chevy Malibu traveling westbound crossed into the oncoming lane of traffic, striking a Chevy Blazer traveling eastbound.
The Malibu had one occupant, Warren Hile Jr., 50, of Tamaqua, who died in the crash. Police say he was unbelted, and so was the dog in the vehicle, who also died.
The Blazer had two occupants who were also not belted. The 57-year-old driver was flown to St. Luke's-Bethlehem by medical helicopter and the 65-year-old passenger was transported by ambulance to Lehigh Valley-Cedar Crest for treatment of serious injuries.
Crews at the scene said it appeared the vehicles slammed head-on.
Route 443 was closed while police investigated but it has since reopened.
Shawn Christy's parents characterized their feelings toward their son's capture in three words: ecstatic, relieved and in shock.Read More »
- Boyfriend facing homicide charge in connection with fatal pedestrian crash
- East Stroudsburg man accused of sexually assaulting 4-year-old
- Pedestrian killed in crash on Route 611 in Mount Pocono
- Two men arrested before drug sale in East Stroudsburg
- Berks-based uniform company to close plant near Frackville
- Dog the Bounty Hunter to join search for Shawn Christy
- 2-car crash closed stretch of Route 222; 1 car hit building, 1 car in field
- Shawn Christy's mother speaks out on son's capture
- Obama visits Philadelphia, touts 'blue wave'
- Fugitive Shawn Christy arrested; found in rocks, streambed
- Man turns his struggles with alopecia into inspiration for others
- Reading Mayor Wally Scott names acting city manager
- LV Chamber of Commerce welcomes Steel Club to Hellertown
- Perkasie man facing charges of hindering prosecution, tampering evidence
- Program at Reading High places students with part-time work
- Behind the Ballot: The 8th Congressional district