TAMAQUA, Pa. - A Schuylkill County borough may soon have its youngest mayor.
19-year-old Nathan Gerace graduated from high school last year...and now he's the only candidate on the ballot for mayor of Tamaqua.
Gerace defeated two other Republicans for the party's nomination, finishing with 223 votes.
"I have a strong love for Tamaqua. I feel like I bring a fresh perspective to the town. I hope to get the youth involved, and get everyone out there cleaning up or just doing something for the better of the town. I've done a lot of studying, a lot of research to know what i'm stepping into, what i'm getting involved with, so i can just be that much better of a mayor," said Gerace.
The incumbent Democratic Mayor Christian Morrison is not on the ballot.
There were 145 write-ins on the Democratic side.
Those will be counted Friday.
The Monroe County Drug Task Force arrested two men for attempted purchase or receipt of a controlled substance Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Berks-based uniform company to close plant near Frackville
- Dog the Bounty Hunter to join search for Shawn Christy
- Father of fugitive Shawn Christy makes plea to son
- Police search for missing Schuylkill County girl
- Tobyhanna Township to receive new wells
- East Stroudsburg brothers, Wind Gap man killed in Route 209 crash
- Sister of former S. Whitehall Twp. police officer speaks out
- Lower Macungie OKs second phase of Stone Hill Meadows
- DEP holds air quality hearing on East Rockhill quarry
- Former Reading news anchor, voice of Boscov's passes away
- Thousands of fans at FirstEnergy Stadium for Gridiron Classic
- County Commissioner reacts to City Hall controversy
- Citizens voice concerns over proposed Bethlehem Parking Authority rate increase
- 1 year after Hurricane Maria: Vigil held to honor lives lost
- Forks Supervisors grant preliminary approval for Knollwood Estates
- Two men arrested before drug sale in East Stroudsburg