TAMAQUA, Pa. - A Schuylkill County borough may soon have its youngest mayor.
19-year-old Nathan Gerace graduated from high school last year...and now he's the only candidate on the ballot for mayor of Tamaqua.
Gerace defeated two other Republicans for the party's nomination, finishing with 223 votes.
"I have a strong love for Tamaqua. I feel like I bring a fresh perspective to the town. I hope to get the youth involved, and get everyone out there cleaning up or just doing something for the better of the town. I've done a lot of studying, a lot of research to know what i'm stepping into, what i'm getting involved with, so i can just be that much better of a mayor," said Gerace.
The incumbent Democratic Mayor Christian Morrison is not on the ballot.
There were 145 write-ins on the Democratic side.
Those will be counted Friday.
- East Stroudsburg Salvation Army needs a little help this year
- Thieves steal $100K from scrap metal company
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- Low levels in Delaware River could keep Washington's crossing re-enactors on land
- Allentown man hit, killed by car while running across I-78
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend
- Community comes together to support Lukens family
- Mother of fallen Berks serviceman speaks at Wreaths Across America
- Police: Armed man barricades himself inside Quakertown home
- 2 charged in ongoing burglary investigation