FRACKVILLE, Pa. - An accident claimed the lives of two people on Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County on Wednesday, according to Pennsylvania State Police.
Authorities said the four-vehicle chain-reaction crash occurred around 2:15 p.m. near Butler Township, between the Highridge and Frackville interchanges.
Traffic at the time was slowed through a construction zone, according to the accident report. Police said a black tractor trailer, driven by Brian Barrett, of Greentown, Pennsylvania, struck the back of a Nissan Rogue, which then struck a Dodge Ram, which then struck the back of white tractor trailer.
The black tractor trailer and the Nissan Rogue became engulfed in flames.
Two people in the Nissan Rogue died and the driver of the Dodge Ram suffered serious injuries.
The Schuylkill County coroner’s office is assisting in identifying the deceased.
The wreck closed the highway for hours. State police said their investigation continues.
An alleged attempt to steal manhole covers has landed two men behind bars.Read More »
- Schuylkill River Heritage Area adopts new name, logo
- Pen Argyl residents get a look at Weona Park plans
- East Stroudsburg University faces over $5M budget deficit
- One Tank Trip: Pocono Indian Museum
- DA: Heroin dealer convicted in Monroe County
- DA: Business owner deceives customers, faces felony theft charges
- Firefighters rescue man from burning building near Hamburg
- Sun and clouds but cooler and still windy for today
- No real estate tax hike expected for Northampton County residents
- Double transplant recipient looking forward to Thanksgiving
- An interview with David Jaindl
- Artist capturing everything Lehigh Valley on canvas
- Lower Macungie runs for the border and has the meats
- Ruscombmanor Township road plagued with lead, drainage issues
- Allentown School Board receives update on progress of strategic plan
- Former Lehigh Co. man convicted in Florida quadruple-murder