Poconos Coal

9 people sent to hospital after carbon monoxide leak found in Tamaqua

2 pregnant women, 3 children some of the victims.

TAMAQUA, Pa. - A carbon monoxide leak in an apartment building sent nine people to the hospital in Tamaqua, Schuylkill Co., on Wednesday.

Officials said a malfunctioning gas-powered steam unit was leaking carbon monoxide in a building in the 300 blcok of West Broad Street.

Three ambulances responded and took six adults and three toddlers to St. Luke's Miners Hospital in Coaldale.

Officials said two of the victims were pregnant, and all were suffering from nauseau, vomiting and headaches.

Tamaqua Fire Chief Thomas Hartz said all steam units were shut down and all buildings were evacuated and ventilated.

A technician was expected to repair and inspect the steam units.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

47°F

Clear

TONIGHT

33°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom