STROUDSBURG, Pa. - A heinous crime in Monroe County targets victims without a voice.
The Stroud Area Regional Poloce said two dogs were found in plastic bags in a wooded area near the A.W.S.O.M Animal Shelter in Stroud Township.
"It was very gruesome. They could have been there for days," said Jeanne Lee, Vice President of the A.W.S.O.M. Shelter.
The shelter said a Good Samaritan was biking in the area on Sunday afternoon when they caught a glimpse of a moving garbage bag. A dog was inside.
"He found a hound that was emaciated and the little dog was growling," Lee said.
The shelter believes the hound is anywhere from nine to 12 months old.
"We spoke kind, warm words and she is coming around," Lee said.
The shelter named the hound Destiny, confident she will recover.
"She has a destiny now. She will recover," Lee said.
Destiny was taken to a foster home where she will be isolated from other animals.
When investigators revisited the scene where the hound was found on Monday, officials discovered another black bag.
"They found another bag, picked it up and it had weight to it. A small Yorkie or Yorkie mix was inside, deceased," Lee said.
Lee said an autopsy will be performed to reveal the Yorkie's cause of death.
Investigators said the person responsible could face serious animal cruelty charges, but officials are still working to determine who is accountable.
The shelter said investigators collected the trash bags to take fingerprints.
"This was deliberate. This was done by a person," said Chief William Parrish, with the Stroud Area Regional Police Department.
Police are asking anyone with information to contact police at (570) 421-6800.
A Saylorsburg man will be charged, after police say they caught him driving under the influence with his child in the carRead More »
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Police: Mom caught with meth, heroin, marijuana
- 3 accused of stealing $1,700 in merchandise from Mahoning Walmart
- 2 killed in Paradise Twp. motorcycle crash
- Updated Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Updated Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- Updated Building community by building birdhouses
- Updated Transgender bathroom issue hits home in Berks
- Updated Health Beat: Fixing frozen shoulder syndrome
- Reading Royals owner buys ECHL team in Texas
- Suspect in beating death denied access to trial materials over witness safety concerns
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Christie on the radio? He says he'll consider his options