Poconos Coal

Animal hospital asking for donations for family of woman who tried to save dog from house fire

MAHONING TWP., Pa. - A Carbon County business is asking for donations for a family whose house caught on fire Monday night.

A woman was injured when she ran back inside the burning Mahoning Township home to try to save a dog, police said. She was flown to the hospital with burns.

The Mahoning Valley Animal Hospital said unfortunately the dog the woman went in to save, Cheyenne, died.

The rest of the family got out safely, along with two other dogs.

The hospital said it will be accepting donations for the family at its office. You can also donate money to a GoFundMe page  set up for the family.

"No donation is too big or too small. At this time we are accepting donations of dog food, gift cards, money, and small household items like blankets, pillows, etc.," the hospital said in a Facebook post.

The Red Cross has given the family some money to get a room while the family figures out what to do next, the hospital said.

Mahoning Township police said power was out at the home in the 600 block of Strauss Valley Road when fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Monday.

Five people were home at the time, police said.

Five fire departments responded to help fight the blaze and it was put under control several hours later, around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday.

A candle sparked the flames, police said.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

This Week's Circulars

Poconos and Coal Region News

Latest From The Newsroom