PINE GROVE, Pa. - An animal shelter is now back in business after a devastating fire. And now, it's working to find forever homes for dozens of cats.
The Ruth Steinert Memorial SPCA in Pine Grove, Schuylkill County, has come a long way since a fire gutted the facility in January.
Two parrots were killed, but all of the employees, plus 60 cats and five dogs, were unharmed.
Manager Jessica Bettinger said those animals were moved to other shelters and that it's taken more than four months to recover from the damage.
"All of our meds were lost," said Bettinger. "I mean we lost a large amount of medication, thousands of dollars worth."
Bettinger said the old building is going to be demolished. The SPCA is presently working out of another building on the premises.
Now that the SPCA is back in business, Bettinger said kittens have been coming to the facility in numbers.
"Since we've opened, we've gotten over 50 cats. So, it's been busy, to say the least," said Bettinger.
It costs $50 to adopt a cat that has already been spayed and neutered. For kittens, the cost is $70.
Bettinger said customers get $20 back if their kitten is spayed or neutered at the facility.
"We have a cat for everyone," said Bettinger. "We have some cats that could do well in just a one cat household. They need to be king of the hill, and we have some cats that love to be in the company of others."
Medical tests are examinations are done on the cats to make sure they are healthy when adopted.
"They will give you unrequited love in the largest amounts," said Bettinger. "On your worst day, it doesn't matter, they are just so happy to see you."
A Schuylkill County man was arrested over the weekend, after police say he fired his gun near his neighbor's family gathering.Read More »
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Updated Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death