POCONO SUMMIT, Pa. - Authorities said they have apprehended a 20-year-old Pocono Summit man who was arrested for an alleged burglary, but escaped custody by stealing a police car.
Kenneth Botke was taken into custody around 1:15 p.m. Sunday near Vacation Lane and Holiday Drive in Pocono Summit, Monroe Co.
Botke was in the process of committing a carjacking and a kidnapping when officers nabbed him, said police, who used a Taser on Botke to subdue him.
Botke had been on the loose since an incident that happened 10 p.m. Saturday outside a residence in the Stillwater Lakes Estates in Pocono Summit.
At that time, police said an officer took Botke into custody for an alleged burglary.
Botke was handcuffed and placed in the back of the police car while the officer took statements from the burglary victims.
That is when Botke manipulated his handcuffs, entered the driver's area through a partition, and drove off, according to police.
Police said Botke stopped the car a short distance later and ran off. Police searched the area for hours, but did not find Botke.
He was caught Sunday afternoon with the help of a state police helicopter.
When they found Botke, police said he continued to resist arrest but was finally secured and taken to Pocono Medical Center for treatment.
The hostages escaped during the apprehension and were unharmed, police said.
Botke faces charges of kidnapping, robbery of a motor vehicle, burglary, making terroristic threats, false imprisonment, escape and theft.
A judge has rejected a request for an emergency competency hearing after a survivalist convicted of ambushing two Pennsylvania State Police troopers refused to communicate with his lawyers.Read More »
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.
- Woman killed in 1-car crash going 120 mph
- Defense begins to present its case in Eric Frein trial penalty phase
- Fallen trooper's wife gives emotional testimony in trial
- Former congressional aide must register as sex offender
- Pa. awarded $26.5 million to fight heroin, opioid crisis
- Updated Judge refuses competency hearing for police ambush killer
- Updated Health Beat: Food safety on the go
- Updated Wolf, treasurer push pension agencies to cut investment fees
- Updated Bethlehem police charge second man in brutal 2016 beating
- Updated Penn State Health St. Joseph hires new financial chief
- Penske Truck Leasing unveils mobile app for customers
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Tickets on sale for 4th of July fireworks show at Coca-Cola Park