For a fourth straight day, crews have been searching for a missing boater in Beltzville Lake in Carbon County.
But now the state is taking over the search.
Rescue crews are still going out on the water at Beltzville State Park but the number of searchers has decreased because many of the volunteer firefighters are returning to their full-time jobs.
"DCNR, PA Fish and Boat Commission, and the Army Corp of Engineers have come aside the local department and essentially they passed the baton to us to continue the search from here," said Kevin Koflanovich, Park Manager at Beltzville State Park.
Having enough manpower to search Beltzville Lake is now the issue.
State agencies continue to use sonar, K-9 units, and other methods, to find a boater who was reported missing early Tuesday morning after a witness saw an empty boat circling in the water.
"Searches especially in a body of water this size with the depths of the lake, that reach the depths that they do, you need to employ a systematic approach and just continue on," added Koflanovich.
Crews say they will be out here on the water from sun up to sun down each day.
And they say as long as they're out here on the lake, the lake will be closed to all other boaters.
"We are not letting boats launch onto the water. However in the main areas of the park we still have hiking, biking, picnicking, etcetera," said Koflanovich.
Crews are not sure how much longer they will be searching.
There were numerous boats on the water four days ago.
Now there are only three or four.
The hope is to find the missing boater before they run out of people to assist in the search.
"Right now it's an open ended search," added Koflanovich. "Searches again, you never know how long a search will take and we will continue to search as long as resources are available."
Authorities say in late April the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children got a tip from Facebook staff about a Facebook user trading child pornography with other users through Facebook’s private messaging service.Read More »
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Truck goes off cliff, lands on railroad tracks
- Bushkill Township officer accused of covering up wife's affair with boy
- Schuylkill mom of 3 says 'cage' was actually protective playpen
- 19-year-old poised to be Tamaqua's next mayor
- Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- Coroner identifies Lehigh County man killed in Allentown police-involved shooting
- Updated Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point
- LIVE original lineup to perform at Musikfest this summer
- Rock icons Godsmack to headline Musikfest Aug. 9
- Lehigh County man charged with attempted homicide
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns