The future of an acid-tongued police chief in Schuylkill County remains up in the air Friday night. Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler was going to be the subject of a special borough council meeting at 7PM, but that plan changed. Kessler's attorney says the disciplinary hearing needed to be pushed back because of a scheduling conflict, so now it's postponed until next week.
It's clearly written on Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler's Facebook page that he expects to be fired for posting profanity-laced gun rights videos while spraying machine-gun fire with borough owned weapons. Kessler's videos have hundreds of thousands of views online. Right now he's serving a 30-day un-paid suspension for what the Gilberton Borough Council said was unauthorized use of its weapons. Friday was supposed to be Kessler's final day of suspension, but it has been extended.
During his month off, Kessler hasn't kept a low profile. Just this week he released another video. In this foul-mouthed video, Kessler holds up two targets he says are named Eric and Danny. Those names also happen to be the first names of Council President Daniel Malloy and Vice President Eric Boxer. In the 10-and-a-half minute video Kessler repeatedly fires at the target with an assault rifle.
On Kessler's Facebook page he says the Gilberton Borough Council held a secret termination meeting Wednesday night. And according to his posts, it appears the top cop isn't worried about losing his job. At midnight he wrote "If he pays the ultimate price so be it! At least he stood for freedom, for country and we the people!"
Kessler's attorney says the disciplinary hearing will most likely be held next week. Despite gathering 23,000 signatures calling for Kessler's termination, Liberal advocacy group Keystone Progress says it won't be there because of the threatening atmosphere created by Kessler and his supporters.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Windy and much cooler today, but seasonable for late February
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- N.J. Rep. Leonard Lance holds second town hall meeting
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Updated Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter