The future of an acid-tongued police chief in Schuylkill County remains up in the air Friday night. Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler was going to be the subject of a special borough council meeting at 7PM, but that plan changed. Kessler's attorney says the disciplinary hearing needed to be pushed back because of a scheduling conflict, so now it's postponed until next week.
It's clearly written on Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler's Facebook page that he expects to be fired for posting profanity-laced gun rights videos while spraying machine-gun fire with borough owned weapons. Kessler's videos have hundreds of thousands of views online. Right now he's serving a 30-day un-paid suspension for what the Gilberton Borough Council said was unauthorized use of its weapons. Friday was supposed to be Kessler's final day of suspension, but it has been extended.
During his month off, Kessler hasn't kept a low profile. Just this week he released another video. In this foul-mouthed video, Kessler holds up two targets he says are named Eric and Danny. Those names also happen to be the first names of Council President Daniel Malloy and Vice President Eric Boxer. In the 10-and-a-half minute video Kessler repeatedly fires at the target with an assault rifle.
On Kessler's Facebook page he says the Gilberton Borough Council held a secret termination meeting Wednesday night. And according to his posts, it appears the top cop isn't worried about losing his job. At midnight he wrote "If he pays the ultimate price so be it! At least he stood for freedom, for country and we the people!"
Kessler's attorney says the disciplinary hearing will most likely be held next week. Despite gathering 23,000 signatures calling for Kessler's termination, Liberal advocacy group Keystone Progress says it won't be there because of the threatening atmosphere created by Kessler and his supporters.
Police said the suspicious death of a man found in his Schuylkill County home earlier this week has been ruled a homicide.Read More »
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band Dies at Age 69
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran