EAST NORWEGIAN TWP., Pa. - One person died in a single car accident at around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday evening in Schuylkill County.
Christopher Gibas, 41, of Pottsville, was killed in the accident on Route 209 in East Norwegian Township, just south of Payton St.
Gibas was driving a Jeep Cherokee at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the SUV, causing it to go airborne, strike a tree and flip onto its roof, according to Pa. State Police.
The passenger, Rick J. Reilly, 48, of Pottsville, was trapped in the vehicle, police said.
Reilly suffered moderate injuries.
He was taken to the hospital.
Rt. 209 was closed for about two hours.
The Pike County DA said jury deliberations could stretch into the night Wednesday to decide the sentence of convicted cop killer Eric Frein.Read More »
- Closing arguments end in penalty phase of police ambush killer
- Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Fire destroys home in Schuylkill Township
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- Updated Jury begins deliberations in sentencing of Eric Frein
- Crash closes Route 422 East between Mount Penn, I-176 exits
- Updated 2 women in critical condition after crash near Dorney Park
- Updated Delaware trooper fatally shot; suspect barricaded in house
- New Prosecutors seek harsher sentence for ex-congressional aide
- Updated Health Beat: The smoking and health connection
- Updated Cosby, daughter, lawyer speak out as sex assault trial looms
- Updated Medical marijuana licensing draws hundreds of applicants
- House votes to toughen animal cruelty laws, tethering rules
- Macungie woman charged for welfare fraud