WAYNE TWP., Pa. - Investigators say the fire that claimed the life of an elderly man in Schuylkill County was sparked by a cigarette.
Russell Harley, 89, died in the fire Thursday.
The fire broke out in an apartment in the 1800 block of Fair Road in the Summit Station section of Wayne Township.
Fire officials say it originated in the living room area of the apartment.
They determined the most likely cause was from a "carelessly discarded cigarette, or stray ash."
Officials say the damage is estimated in excess of $50,000. No other injuries were reported.
One of two Lehigh County men charged after a fatal crash that involved a stolen minivan is now out of the hospital and behind bars.Read More »
- Palmerton man killed in crash in Washington Township
- Snowfall totals from the 69 News viewing area
- ESU women's basketball manager meets Steph Curry
- Yuengling adds new beer to product portfolio
- ESU president announces new security measures for campus
- Wife who plotted husband's murder sentenced to 18-48 months
- Updated Berks man thanks team who saved his life
- Allentown schools facing $28.4 million deficit
- Chilly, breezy Friday with an afternoon rain or snow shower possible
- Updated Life Lessons: Unusual travel options
- Applications for Allentown mayor due Friday
- Penn State fraternity members due in court over hazing death
- Quakertown school board backtracks on furloughs
- Salisbury grants waiver for Swain School soccer field
- East Allen supervisors praise outgoing manager
- Attorney: Lawsuit against battery maker complicated