SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, Pa. - If you ask 22-year-old Caitlin McGarry's family to tell you about the woman they know, they'll tell you, there's not enough time.
"She's such an amazing, amazing person," her brother said.
"She's touched a lot of people in her life," adds her uncle.
And that is why they're praying for more.
"She's pretty much my role model, you know? Everything I've done in my entire life is because of her," said her 20-year-old brother, Kyle.
On the morning of April 26th, a driver in South Whitehall Township struck Caitlin's car head-on.
Two collapsed lungs, a shattered skull, and broken limbs were just a few of her injuries.
"They said that most likely from the day of the injury it will be around 4 weeks likely before she wakes up, but she has the ability too, and she will," Kyle pauses and smiles, adding, "She will."
Caitlin always had a heart for helping. She once raised money for pediatric cancer research in college. But with medical bills piling up, suddenly, she needs the help.
"We just started brainstorming!" says Michele Hoy, a family friend and a proud committee member of the “Caring for Caitlin” group.
Friends, even strangers, planned a fundraiser and prayer vigil in Schuylkill Haven, and then...
"In a small town, word gets out!" Kyle says.
Hundreds showed up to help raise money, and bring a little light to a dark time.
"You know, I'll never doubt people again. I'll never look at people and have a bad thought about them. Because the way that a community came together here, that so many people got behind a girl that they barely even knew, to just reach out and support and ask if we needed anything….it means a lot," Kyle tells us.
Caitlin has a long journey ahead, and there's still time to help. You can follow along with her journey on a Facebook page that's been set up by her family.
You can also donate through a GoFundMe page or make a donation at any Santander Bank branch - just direct the donation to "FBO for benefit of Caitlin McGarry."
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- Police ID man fatally shot in Reading; shooter at large
- Train pushes truck about 200 yards in fatal collision
- Updated 2 hospitalized, more than dozen displaced by fire in Reading
- Updated Exeter evicts Viva as country club's caterer, pub operator
- Updated Tom Ridge returns home nearly a month after heart attack
- Grease fire damages home near Barto, sends man to hospital
- Bear Creek sets plans to open slopes for 2017-18 season
- Cops: Man lured wife saying he had gifts for kids, shot her
- Reading police say Pear Street shooting now a homicide
- Berks commissioners OK 3.87% tax increase for 2018