ROSS TWP., Pa. - Nearly three months after a shooter opened fire at Ross Township's municipal building the community continues to rally around one of the survivors.
The mission is to make her house feel like home again.
It's back breaking work but to the Monroe County residents it's a labor of love for a woman whose life was devastated when bullets ripped through the Ross Township Municipal Building on August 5th.
David Fleetwood, James LaGuardia and Gerard Kozic were killed by accused gunman Rockne Newell.
A bullet shattered the leg of Kozic's wife, Linda.
"We know as a community how hard this hit everybody but we as a company, Home Depot, we were right on board with this right from the get go," said Rob Dohanish with the East Stroudsburg Home Depot.
Nearly three months later, Linda is in a wheelchair and unable to navigate her own house.
So the community is coming together.
Contractors, neighbors and even strangers are donating their time and money to help Linda.
"It will be a 5x6 landing with two ramps going down to put a wheelchair in. And we put a new front door in for her just to make life easier for her getting into the house," said Ryan Meissner with RTM Construction.
The ramp will be completed in about a week. Then work will begin inside the house.
Kent and Lois Heckman are leading the extensive and expensive renovation effort.
Linda's bathroom, kitchen and laundry will undergo a massive wheelchair friendly makeover.
Cosmetic touches will also be donated to make the changes seem more like home.
Linda says she's overwhelmed by what the community is doing.
"Very heartwarming so I am very thrilled and I'm very happy and I'm very touched and I feel very blessed," said Kozic.
The renovations are expected to be completed before Thanksgiving.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Updated Man shot, killed by Reading police after pointing shotgun at officers
- Warm and breezy today with strong to severe t-storms this afternoon
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Updated Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Updated Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Lafayette College asks for temporary dorms amid rise in applicants
- Local movie experts preview the Oscars