STROUDSBURG, Pa. - A Monroe County man convicted of killing his wife has been denied an appeal.
Arthur Schirmer is currently serving a life sentence for the 2008 murder of his wife, Betty Jean Schirmer. He has had his Post-Conviction Relief Act petition denied by the court.
Schirmer, who was convicted and sentenced in 2013, filed the petition with the Monroe County Court of Common Pleas alleging ineffective assistance at trial, prosecutorial misconduct, double jeopardy, and that the trial court lacked jurisdiction to hear the case.
In the judge's published opinion, she addressed each of Schirmer's claims individually, denying him relief on each issue.
Delivery driver killed in violent robbery.Read More »
- 2 charged in ongoing burglary investigation
- East Stroudsburg Salvation Army needs a little help this year
- Thieves steal $100K from scrap metal company
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Northampton gets harsh grade from state in elder abuse casework
- Low levels in Delaware River could keep Washington's crossing re-enactors on land
- Updated East Stroudsburg Domino's donating all Sunday's sales to murder victim's family
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Allentown man hit, killed by vehicle while running across I-78
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend
- Community comes together to support Lukens family
- Mother of fallen Berks serviceman speaks at Wreaths Across America