HAMILTON TWP., Pa. - It was a startling wake-up call in a Monroe County neighborhood.
Gunshots rang out in Hamilton Township Tuesday.
Residents were roused from their beds to learn that one of their neighbors had been killed.
Witnesses say it was a drive by shooting.
Now, investigators are trying to catch a killer.
Old Timber Road in Hamilton Township, Monroe County is a neighborhood wrapped in crime tape.
Just after midnight Tuesday gunfire ripped through this trailer home.
"I saw and heard five shots fired," said neighbor Elsie Lutjens.
Lutjens says she was looking out the window when she saw a car drive down the street, heard the shots and saw the flash from the barrel.
One of the bullets hit 39 year old Darcey Kravchenko.
"He was sleeping in the back bedroom and when he heard the shots he stood up out of the bed apparently at that time he was shot in the head by one of the stray bullets and he laid there until he was found," said Monroe County Coroner Bob Allen.
Kravchenko's family was also home when the shooting happened.
He was rushed to the hospital where he died.
Police spent most of the day gathering evidence and talking to witnesses.
Neighbors say they're shaken up.
"I'm scared. I'm half scared to live here anymore, said Lutjens.
"Glad I wasn't here really because I wouldn't want to witness that because that was my friend's dad you know what I'm saying. I definitely wouldn't want to see that," said Joseph Quiles.
Investigators aren't saying much about what happened or if there is a suspect.
Anyone with information on this crime is urged to call police.
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.
- Woman killed in 1-car crash going 120 mph
- Defense begins to present its case in Eric Frein trial penalty phase
- Fallen trooper's wife gives emotional testimony in trial
- Penalty phase starts in Eric Frein trial
- Schuylkill County issues temporary open burning ban
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Paramedic reunites with family he helped decades ago
- Runners take on St. Luke's Half Marathon
- Trump nears 100 days: 'It's a different kind of presidency'
- Ex-clerk files federal lawsuit claiming Alpha Borough allowed sexual harassment
- State police: Trooper, 2 people in SUV injured in crash
- April the giraffe becomes a cash cow for tiny zoo
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts