EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. - East Stroudsburg University said it is making good on its promise to increase campus security.
The school says they started discussing increasing security after several violent crimes on campus in 2017.
In late January, an ESU student was stabbed on campus and in December a pizza delivery driver was shot and killed.
Police said neither of those crimes were committed by ESU students and are unusual, but they are adding measures to help everyone feel safe.
The university said they plan to hire additional police and security officers, increasing the force from 11 to about 15 officers.
The school said they also plan to add about 100 to 200 more security cameras on campus over the next year or so.
Vice President for Administration and Finance, Kenneth Long, said ESU won't be raising tuition or fees to do so but will find the money within the existing budget.
"We want the campus to be the safest place in Monroe County...when you come on this campus we want you to feel safe," Long said.
- Coroner identifies woman found dead in Monroe County
- Police investigate body found in Monroe County
- 5 Schuylkill County boroughs, townships nominated as Opportunity Zones
- Air pistol, pocket knife found on Pottsville Area HS student
- 6 face felony charges in relation to stealing $336K from Pa. agency
- Local counties receive funding for summer internship programs
- Updated Easton, Lewisburg residents winners in the 2018 St. Luke's Half Marathon
- A spectacular couple of days ahead
- Updated Pennsylvania Game Commission to conduct controlled fire in Berks, Schuylkill Counties Sunday
- Several hurt after fire levels detached garage in Berks County
- People go back to the 80's to raise money for American Red Cross
- Hundreds of volunteers participate in Reading's Great American Clean Up
- Volunteers plant trees in Wilson
- Bethlehem Area School District dance marathon raises money for pediatric patients
- Muhlenberg Township Authority dedicates water tower
- Southern Lehigh, Emmaus lacrosse teams join forces for Cancer Awareness Day