ROSS TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Nearly one week after a shooting rampage rocked a community in the Poconos, people are coming together to move forward. Sunday family and friends gathered to say good bye to one of the men who lost his life last Monday night.
It was a nightmare no one expected. A regular municipal meeting in Ross Township, Monroe County was interrupted with gunfire. Police say 59-year-old Rockne Newell continued firing as he walked inside. Two men were able to tackle Newell, but not before troopers say he killed three people and wounded three others.
The pain of the tragedy was clear Sunday. Folks from all over quietly came together to remember 62-year-old Dave Fleetwood. Dave's wife Pam, and three children requested the funeral be open to just family, friends and the community, so no cameras were inside the service. For the nearly 200 people inside, it served as a way to comfort and support each other. This week Dave was remembered for his passion to help others, and the quiet way he went about it.
"He was involved in everything, but he was very low key," shared Chris Eckert. "You didn't know all the things he was involved in unless you knew him very well."
Among the sadness, there were memories to smile and laugh at. Celebrating the life Dave lived, and the quiet ways he brought joy to those who knew him. The final message for people from the pastor was to make good come from this tragedy and their tears.
The funeral for another victim, James LaGuardia, will be held Tuesday in Staten Island. A memorial service for the third victim, Jerry Kozic will be set once his wife is released from the hospital. She was critically wounded in the shooting.
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Tip from Facebook staff leads to arrest of East Stroudsburg man for child porn
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Truck goes off cliff, lands on railroad tracks
- Updated Jury selection enters 2nd day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 87-year-old man dies after car crash in Bath earlier this month
- Updated Variable cloudiness this afternoon with most of the rain staying south and east today and tomorrow
- Updated Commission approves LED lights for 'Trenton Makes' Bridge
- Kelly Services to hold job fair in Allentown, looking to fill 300+ warehouse positions at XPO
- First-hand look at training firefighters go through
- Palmer police looking for 2 men accused of stealing $300 worth of razors from Giant
- Northampton teen leads police on 30-minute chase
- Updated 2 men sought in pair of armed robberies in Reading
- Life Lessons: Breakfast at this office?