POCONO TWP., Pa. - Two women charged with robbing a pair of New Jersey banks are also suspected of trying to rob a bank in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains while dressed as nuns.
Swahilys Pedraza Rodriguez, 19, and Melisa Aquino Arias, 23, appeared before a judge in Newark, New Jersey on Monday. They're also charged with robbing banks in Garfield and Teaneck, New Jersey, while wearing head scarves. The Garfield heist was on Sept. 27, while the Teaneck heist, at the NVE Bank, was on Sunday and where the women were arrested.
The FBI says the women are also suspected in an attempted robbery of the Citizens Bank on Route 611 in Pocono Township on Aug. 28. Those robbers were dressed as nuns, one armed with a pistol, but ran away without money after an alarm was triggered.
The FBI had posted surveillance photos on Twitter from the Poconos heist.
The women's attorneys didn't immediately return messages Tuesday.
Police say Diane Probst, 51, of Sugarloaf, was shot by her husband Steven Probst, 62, around 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Shenandoah Fish & Game Protective Association.Read More »
- Man's arm grievously wounded in workplace accident
- Man opens fire during bingo night at Schuylkill County bar
- One Tank Trip: Pocono Indian Museum
- Verdict reached in fraternity hazing death trial in Monroe County
- Man charged in shooting at Schuylkill County bar
- Police: Man attempts to rob Dollar General with note
- Woman shot in Schuylkill County club dies from wounds
- Italian guests celebrate Thanksgiving in Bethlehem
- Retail stores fight the rise of online shopping
- Remains of final two victims from Barclay Friends fire found
- Many enjoy hot meal with side of Thanksgiving fellowship
- Atypical Thanksgiving traditions abound in the Lehigh Valley
- Camping and dancing for deals in Whitehall
- Person wounded by gunfire in northwest Reading
- Health Beat: Isolated limb infusion saves mom, baby
- Lines form early for Thanksgiving, Black Friday deals