POCONO TWP., Pa. - Monday the Pocono Township Fire Department said good bye to local legend Dick Howell in fitting fashion.
It was the last fire run for 91 year old Owen Richard Howell; after losing a battle with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's last week, the firefighter brotherhood escorts him to his final resting place in the fire company's first fire engine circa 1940.
Howell served more than 74 years with the Pocono Township Volunteer Fire Department.
"He was known as a legend. As people say, " said his grandson Cody Clark.
Howell joined the fire department at the age of 13 and for more than seven decades he inspired numerous volunteer fire fighters to join and climb the ranks.
His grandsons say Howell was a father figure for many people, including them.
"He was the kind of man who would give you the shirt off of his back. Loved the fire company. Loved it. It's all he would talk about," said grandson Carey Clark.
When the volleys stop echoing and the brotherhood scatters, Howell's grandsons says they hope they will take a piece of his inspiration with them and pass it on the way Howell did.
"If I could be half the man he can or be half the man he was I would be 10 times the better of a person. And if everybody could be this world would be 10 times better," said Cody Clark.
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Tip from Facebook staff leads to arrest of East Stroudsburg man for child porn
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Truck goes off cliff, lands on railroad tracks
- Updated New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- DA criticizes state police investigation of shooting by troopers
- Updated Going the distance: Local couple celebrates 2,700 rides on Dorney's "Steel Force"
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Updated Rehearsal underway for 2017 Freddy's
- Crews assessing damage after car slams into restaurant
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- PSU Berks, Penn State Health St. Joseph team up for new 'Launchbox'
- Police: Upper Saucon man shoots nephew, chases him on golf cart