MAHONING TWP., Pa. - Officials in Carbon County say four teenagers were sent to the hospital after crashing their car.
It happened Sunday around 12:30 p.m. on Orioles Drive in Mahoning Township.
Police said the teen who was driving -- 18-year-old Ariel Shiffert of Lehighton -- was driving at a high rate of speed, lost control and crashed into a tree.
Three passengers in the car -- ages 15, 16 and 17 -- were injured. Two sustained moderate to major injuries, while the third sustained minor to moderate injuries.
Two were taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest. Shiffert and a third passenger were taken to Gnaden Huetten Memorial Hospital in Lehighton.
Police said none of the occumpants used their seat belts, and the front airbags did activate.
Charges against Shiffert are pending completion of the investigation.
There's no word on the extent of their injuries.
A jury is expected to begin weighing the sentence for a gunman who targeted Pennsylvania state troopers at their barracks, killing one and leaving a second with devastating injuries.Read More »
- Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Fire destroys home in Schuylkill Township
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- BonTon carries Pottsville pottery-maker's products
- Updated Crews respond to crash near Dorney Park
- Jury to begin weighing sentence for police ambush killer
- Berks County officials continue to discuss partnership with ICE
- Multi-Purpose skatepark in the works in Reading
- Reading Planning Commission moves forward on subdivision of Fromm Electric
- Hanover Township hears Turkey Hill liquor license request
- Airport authority scrambling to handle more cargo traffic
- Life Lessons: Be Strong: Anti-bullying phone app
- A little rain this morning; otherwise mostly cloudy and turning milder today
- A career (and a giraffe) is born