GILBERTON, Pa. - A local police chief suspended for posting videos in which he fired borough-owned automatic weapons while shouting obscenities is mounting a write-in candidacy for sheriff.
Gilberton Chief Mark Kessler announced his candidacy for Schuylkill County sheriff via social media. He said on his Facebook page that he's running to break the "death grip of career politicians" on both sides of the aisle.
"This won't be easy," Kessler posted. "A write-in campaign is almost impossible, but we hope all true patriots will come assist and turn the tide of this thuggery machine that has been destroying our constitution for decades and decades."
Kessler's pro-gun videos have garnered hundreds of thousands of views online. They show him shouting about the Second Amendment and liberals while spraying machine-gun fire.
Borough council said Kessler didn't have the borough's permission to use the weapons and suspended him indefinitely.
Kessler's disciplinary hearing is scheduled for next week. He has said he expects to be fired.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled Wednesday for a Schuylkill County man accused of leaving three children home alone, with one of them locked in a 'cage.'Read More »
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Tip from Facebook staff leads to arrest of East Stroudsburg man for child porn
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Updated Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Updated 'You're not arresting me,' woman tells police
- Health Beat: ACL reinjury in girls prevented by PEP
- Updated Traffic stoppages on I-78 in Lehigh County will take place Wednesday
- Unofficial numbers in for Allentown race for mayor
- Police link man to trio of break-ins in five days
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Clouds and some sun this afternoon