Polka, Ponzi schemes and prison.
Netflix's newest movie is based on Polka King Jan Lewan who gained national fame in Hazleton.
In the new Netflix movie "The Polka King" Jack Black plays Polish immigrant Jan Lewan. Those dreams turned to schemes, as Lewan gained Polka fame in Hazleton and was then busted for running a Ponzi scheme out of his Hazleton merchandise shop.
"Polka isn't big business. I have this idea to start this gift shop. To do that with no money, you have to do something," Lewan told us from his home in Florida. "I didn't know what I was doing wrong, when I learned it was just too late to stop."
Lewan was sentenced to five years in prison for taking $5 million from people. While serving time he had his throat slashed by his cellmate, who heard the false rumor Lewan was a child molester.
"That is why I wrote the book. I write 1,300 pages. A book about everything that I've done in my life good and bad," he said.
That led to a documentary and now a movie, which Lewan says is 90 percent true, 10 percent Hollywood. He says he's really impressed with Jack Black's portrayal.
Lewan still has family in Hazelton. Resident Rocco Arruzzo remembers the Polka King well.
"From a musical standpoint he was very good. Had a good orchestra, good band and traveled a lot," Arruzzo said.
Others say the ring of his Ponzi scheme still stings. He hurt a lot of people, one business owner said.
However, the 76-year-old continues to play, expanding into Polka Rap. That caught the attention of Florida neighbor and now friend, 1990s rapper Vanilla Ice.
"He's excited, he's probably coming tonight. Making a little reception with friends of mine for primer of movie," he said.
The Lehigh Tunnel on the northbound side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike was closed for more than an hour Friday night after a wreck inside the tunnel.Read More »
- Friends remember Chris Hixon, LV native killed in Florida shooting
- Camelback's ski camp leads its students to Paralympics
- Poconos sees uptick in tourism after previous decline
- Lehigh Valley native among those killed in Florida school shooting
- Victim of Florida school shooting has ties to local area
- Police chase leads to crash between Palo Alto officer, state trooper
- Quick moving storm brings snow late today and tonight
- Crews prep for weekend wintry weather
- Updated Military plane conducting flight exercise cause of loud noises heard in Lehigh Valley
- Presidential historian Tim Blessing discusses President's Day
- Bethlehem's Friends of Music introduces Outstanding Young Artist Competition
- CDC says flu season may be leveling off
- History's Headlines: This old house finds a new life
- Harrisburg food pantry dishes out Gov. Wolf's Super Bowl winnings
- Glass building at Apple headquarters causing headaches for employees
- PHOTOS: Victims of south Florida school shooting