MT. BETHAL, Pa. - On this Valentine's Day people are showing affection to their loved ones by giving gifts like chocolates or flowers, but a Northampton County man has put a twist on the holiday.
Robert Teel decided to spend the holiday selling this heart shaped hot tub at Teel Auctions in Mount Bethel and donating the money to the American Cancer Society.
Teel said, "You must give something back, you must. If you don't it's not really worthwhile."
Teel knows the strength and struggle of beating cancer.
In 1995, he was told he had the disease and had three weeks to live.
He said, "I thought my world was over. They actually removed my face and took a big mass out of my head."
Robert is doing fine and he credits those close to him.
Teel said, "The love of my family and my daughter who was very strong who stood by me and she was only a little child."
He also credits a stranger who visited him in the hospital.
Moments after finding out he had weeks to live a nun came to his room when Robert asked for someone closer to God than he was at the time.
Teel said, "And she came in and held my hand almost the entire night and gave me strength enough to pull through it."
He said that Nun helped save his life and he hopes to give the gift of life to someone else on Valentine's Day.
"As long as you donate something, if not donate love to the ones who are in trouble," said Teal.
The hot tub sold for $175 to the Chelsea Sun Inn.
The tub was donated by a person who originally bought it at the Mount Airy auction.. and it was at the resort for years.
Co-owner of Chelsea Sun Inn, James Howard, said he wanted to have a piece of Poconos history at the resort.
A 32-year-old man was sentenced Tuesday to an aggregate term of incarceration of 26 to 52 years in a state correctional institution.Read More »
- FBI nabs 2 women suspected of trying to rob bank dressed as nuns
- 2nd driver pleads in crash that killed man, pregnant woman
- State System, APSCUF reach tentative deal on new contract
- Man charged with aggravated assault near Mount Airy Casino
- Police: Man shot daughter's boyfriend in groin at motel
- Fire officials investigate house explosion in Coolbaugh Township
- Judge denies Jerry Sandusky's request for new trial
- Pa. lawmakers on spotted lanternfly: 'We have an epidemic'
- Coroner IDs victim of fatal crash on Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Man accused of shooting daughter's boyfriend now in custody
- Updated Berks part of US crackdown on underage sex trafficking
- Updated PHOTOS: Operation Cross Country XI
- Updated Suspect in Phoenixville fatal shooting waives preliminary trial
- Updated Cetronia Ambulance Corps now state education institute
- Christie appoints new leader for New Jersey State Police
- Life Lessons: Getting ready to sell?